Sunday, August 29, 2010

Acrylic Failures

I’ve been absent from the blog world for several months now; much on my plate and did not seem to find the needed time to concentrate on writing. Apologies to any of you who have followed.
I have been painting off and on the past months; mostly off rather than on. Cannot seem to paint during periods of chaos.
So now I have been trying my hand at using acrylics since health issues are pointing to the abandonment of oils. And here are two very unsuccessful attempts at using acrylics.



Consulted with the student artists/sales persons at the local artist supply store. They suggested I may want to also try some of the acrylic textures…….Well! Home I go trucking along acrylic paint, acrylic retarder, clear tar gel, matte super heavy gel and a gesso gel medium!  The paint doesn't flow....the colours are either too brilliant or muddied!
As you can see from the attempts shown here….all the additives in the acrylic world did nothing for my painting prowess. Think it is back to oils for me….perhaps with gloves and mask!
The first is supposed to be Black Willows along creek bed and the second a nocturnal image of birches....even the titles do little!



My hat is off to all of you who use this medium with such grandeur and success!

No comments:

Post a Comment